Sunday 26 October 2008

I Haven't Got A Cluedo

Playing Cluedo with your family is not necessarily relaxing. Matty has been longing to play the new version of the game since it has been advertised on children's TV seemingly on rotation. To speed the game up they've added extra elements like clock cards and special power cards. Now I don't have a problem with board games but I do become incredibly competitive. I have to win. The fact that I'm playing against an 8 year old and his 4 year old brother teamed with my wife makes no difference. Ten minutes in to explaining the rules I'm seriously considering using the weaponry supplied with the game. An axe, baseball bat, pistol. . . all very tempting. And once the game is under way I find myself engaged in a battle of wits with Matty as he tries to peek at my clue list. I deliberately employ strategies to mislead him; hinting strongly that he ought to be looking for the sink plunger in the bathroom. I take a malicious pleasure watching him surreptitiously searching the board for the non-existent crime scene, and I use the distraction to sneak past Polly and Sam and make my accusation. “It was Mr Green, in the Living Room using the Candlestick.” At this point Sam burst into tears. “That's what we were going to say!” he bawled. “Them's the breaks, kid,” I told him. You see, I'm ruthless.

3 comments:

  1. I would simply call it a "life lesson". I find my competitive streak stirring when confronted with Mouse-trap or Ker-Plunk..!

    ...and Buckaroo, a game for the intellectual purist..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that it is easier when you are not the parent! When playing football, for instance, with friends' young boys I can be as competitive as I like and get away with it. So try playing with others' children, you can use your competitive instinct as much as you want, so long as you don't do it with the same children too often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the world of Child Mental Health we do have a proper Therapeutic term for fathers like your goodself.

    "A Git"

    I on the other hand have the problem that I HATE board games and my future daughter-in-law insists on playing the ruddy things as any given opportunity!

    My own offspring have a therapeutic term for me as well.

    "A boring old Git!"

    You wait until you've played 'Risk' with them, then you'll undertand pain

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to leave a comment. I read and appreciate them all. Thank You.